Monday, February 8, 2016

About Olivia

I have to confess - I find flawed characters more interesting. I like a character that changes and matures through the story. Perfection has always annoyed me (hence my childhood dislike of Nancy Drew - she was too damn perfect).

My newest review of Forging Day, as of this writing anyway, was negative. The reviewer had some nice things to say - but ultimately, their main complaint was that Olivia makes bad relationship choices and acts like sex will fix all of her personal problems.

I agree. When the story begins she does make bad choices and she does have that mindset. Olivia's scars may not be visible, but she has them. The reader will find out more about her past as the series progresses. I'm thinking about one scene in particular from Family Values, but posting it would be something of a spoiler.

Anyway, back to the review. The reviewer seems to feel I'm making Olivia act that way as an excuse to force more sex into the story. Trust me, I don't need that as an excuse. Olivia acts that way because she's broken when the story starts. She's making her first baby steps after a decade of dysfunctional choices.

Emotional health is a tricky animal. Fixing it isn't like flipping a switch. Olivia's story isn't just a fantasy action/adventure story. The story is her emotional growth as a person. These things take time.

Here's a small excerpt. Olivia is the one speaking. You'll find out who she's talking to in Family Values.

* * * * *

Here’s the thing. For the first time, my body is something I own. I choose who I want to be with. I make love with them because it pleases me. It’s not a question of polyamory, or swinging, or whatever you want to call it. It has to be my body and my choice. If I lose myself again, something will break inside of me, and I’m not sure anyone can fix it.


No comments:

Post a Comment