Sunday, April 15, 2012

A dragon by any other name...

To explain the title of my blog, I'm going to jump back to when my daughter was about four.  At this point she had been walking for two years and was just starting to get language.  I would say I was definitely still in my bitter/depressed/black humor stage.  I'd see all these cars with their 'honor student' bumper stickers while my angel was kicking me from the back seat or throwing her shoes at my head while I drove.  About this time my husband and I played an online multiplayer game called Horizons.  In this game you could (and can still) play a dragon character.  I called my darling child my little hatchling - she was such a fierce little thing (and she loved playing baby dragons).  I didn't foresee a future where I would ever have an honor student while I had a child that screamed all day and climbed the back of my chair while I tried to work (doing tech support from home).  I used to joke to myself that my hatchling would eat their honor students.  Fast forward to middle school and 2011, and my little hatchling has made the honor roll the last two trimesters.  Go figure.  But I still have the bright yellow messenger bag we had made that I take to all my school meetings.  There's a little red dragon on the cover, and it says, "My hatchling ate your honor student".

No comments:

Post a Comment