Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Vintage or ....

I'm having major frustration trying to research pieces that don't have logos or names on them.  The named pieces are bad enough - they're almost impossible to find out anything about them - at least the way I'm doing it.  I have jewelry pieces in my lot that I know are vintage - some because they look it - some because they resemble pieces I got a few decades ago as new pieces, but how to document them correctly, much less price them correctly, for Etsy?

I always thought you could find anything online.  Maybe I'm not asking the right questions or maybe when you're talking about vintage, it's not the most likely of subjects for online research?

I have several books on vintage jewelry too, but they tend to focus on higher end costume pieces and not the things I"m trying to research. 

I'm not even necessarily looking for knowledge on specific pieces.  I want a broader knowledge base.  I have different brooches.  There are a lot of different style pin backs.  Where?  How?  do I find out which style was common in which era?

I hate feeling like an idiot, and this lack of progress is maddening.

On another note, I have all of this beautiful lace weight yarn and I'm not sure what to make with it.  I can do the crocheted flowers easily enough, but the doilies book I tried made me want to hurl it across the room.  I know how to follow a pattern, and I swear this thing was skipping steps, like how to join one set of stitches to the next.  Lace weight yarn is not well suited to repeatedly ripping out sets of stitches and then trying again.  >-<.

No comments:

Post a Comment